Reading Tag

Saw this at Rosamund's blog Shoes of Paper ♥ Stockings of Buttermilk.  It looked fun, and I don't believe I've done it before - so here goes!

Do you snack while you read?  If so, favourite reading snack: 
I don't snack, but I drink tea!

What is your favourite drink while reading?
A nice large cup of tea. 

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? 
I still have my childhood horror of writing in books or bending pages (library books, you see).  What I do is use sticky notes to mark all the passages I want to remember - after I finish the book, I type up the parts worth remembering.

How do you keep your place while reading a book?  Bookmark?  Dog-ears?  Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks!  Though when I was a child, I never used bookmarks; I would just set the book flat open, face down.  It was one of the few family rules I broke. 

Fiction, non-fiction, or both? 
Increasingly now, I enjoy both.  There was a phase in my early-mid teens where I pretty much stuck to fiction, but before that I read many biographies and since then - mainly inspired by my first history professor, Prof. C. - I've read some essays and poli-sci/philosophical/historical books.  My goal now is to become better-read in nonfiction.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? 
Anywhere.  Though the end of a chapter or segment is best.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
I might slam the book shut.  I have (very rarely) treated textbooks with even less respect, but generally not - it's never the tree's fault! 

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Only if it's very unusual.

What are you currently reading? 
  1. Notes on Life and Letters / Conrad - Slow read, but almost done!
  2. Eugene Onegin / Pushkin - Reading for the 3rd time.
  3. Sorrows of Young Werther / Goethe
  4. Republic / Plato - Just started.
  5. A People's History of the US / Zinn
  6. A Patriot's History of the US / Schweikart and Allen
  7. Head First Design Patterns / Freeman, et al
  8. The New Testament: Acts
What is the last book you bought?

Evita, Odyssey, Notes on the State of Virginia, and Sea of Glory.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? 
During the summer, on a bench on the deck.  Or next to the kitchen with (guess what) a cup of tea.  I also like to read before I go to bed.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I love me a good series, but I haven't found any lately.  Overall, I prefer series because they're character-driven. On the other hand, my most favorite books right now (barring Sherlock Holmes) are all standalones (I consider The Lord of the Rings to be one book).

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Conrad and Kafka.  Incidentally, they are authors you will either love or loathe.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.) 
I try to go by author's last name, except for Mass Media paperbacks and books I don't care about much, which go wherever they fit on the shelf.  Some hardcovers I place at the end, since I can't bear to see a big book in the middle of a shelf.  Overall, I'm not a stickler, so long as everything fits!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1