Age of Sail book haul


An incredible, incredibly busy summer quarter hasn't left me much time to read.  I'm taking two classes, tutoring part-time, and job-hunting on the side.  However, yesterday I was able to get over to Barnes & Noble and pick up this lovely trio.

I couldn't keep myself out of The Old Man and the Sea, so I read it today and will be posting a review for Hamlette's read-along at The Edge of the Precipice.  Not gonna lie - the cover and typography are just gorgeous!  (Admittedly a purchasing factor.)  I will say nothing yet of the story, except I'm glad I finally read it.

And then there's Melville and Conrad.  Conrad really is best-read in hard copy.  His writing is wonderfully intricate, so much so it's easy to feel a little lost in the e-Ink versions.  I already know the story of "Billy Budd" from a radio drama, but I wanted to read the original and also "Bartleby the Scrivener," which comes highly rated.  Also, on a tight schedule, short stories are always fun.

Have you read these three giants of nautical literature?  Particularly, what do you think of Hemingway's style?

Comments

Ruth said…
New books are always beautiful. ; )

I will be rereading The Old Man and the Sea for Hamlett's Read-along, too. It will be my third time. The first time I loved the old man's perseverance; the second time I was impatient with Hemingway's long-windedness. But this time I am going to figure out what the deal is.

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans