Embracing routine in 2017

On a recent post, "Dreams & Goals for 2017," I talked about wanting to find a daily schedule to help me reduce stress levels, as well as balance my time between work and personal pursuits.  A commenter, Mari, expressed interest in hearing about my schedule if I found one that works.  It's been two weeks, and I'm happy to report I've created a daily plan and stuck to it, and overall it's been a surprising success.  :)

This is the approximate breakdown, with clarifying notes:

9:30–10:00 PM - Lights Off
I put this first because it is the most important.  I have always - and especially since college - been a night owl, easily staying up till 1:00 AM no problem and even past that sometimes.  I could hardly imagine going to bed early, let alone consistently.  On January 2, I made myself turn the lights off at 9:30, and that was the beginning of the success.  I did not fall asleep for an hour or two, but that was just the first night of the new schedule - it became vastly easier, of course, once I started getting up early.

As someone who finds it easier to fall asleep than to wake up, this was the single most useful change I made.

5:50–6:15 AM - Lights On
I have two alarm clocks.  One is my trusty mp3 player (yes, I am ancient), which I've set to play "Clair de Lune" at 5:50 AM.  The other is my Philips Wake-Up Light alarm clock, which has a beep that goes off at 6:00 AM.  Now here are real the tricks:
  • Through this system, I get about 8 hours of sleep every night.  Falling asleep at about 10:00 PM makes it easy to get up at 6:00 AM, because I really did get a good night's sleep!
  • The wake-up song matters.  I used to use "Arabesque I" and also tried songs by Yiruma, but the first notes of "Clair de Lune" are just perfect for me personally.
  • Every evening, I place my mp3 player in a different location in my room.  In the morning, the little task of finding the mp3 player helps my brain wake up.
Random benefit:  This may sound strange, but I have suddenly started having awesome dreams almost every night.  I almost never had dreams before.  (Probably I used to be too stressed/tired to dream.)

7:00–7:30 AM - Study (Work-Related)
On my best days (and I'll be honest, this is not every day), I will try to complete my morning routine by 7:00 AM and then get in some work-related study before I leave home.

8:15 AM - Start Work (with More Studying)
I generally start work by 8:15.  My boss really advocates training and self-teaching, so I spend about an hour reading or watching video tutorials.  It is sometimes tempting to skip this step - especially if I'm in the middle of an intense task - but I have found that if I spend those quiet morning hours in quiet study, it minimizes the stress of the workplace environment and sets me up for a more productive day.  

Additionally, I feel more enthusiastic about training when I do it every day, as opposed to saving it all for a Friday or a low work day.

11:45–Noon - A Real Lunch Break
For the first two years of work, I was in the habit of eating while working.  This is terrible for at least three reasons:
  1. You enjoy your food LESS when you do this.
  2. You don't give your brain any time to rest.
  3. Your keyboard/mouse become...gross (TMI, sorry).
Again, it is tempting to eat while working, but by forcing myself to take a real lunch break, even for 15 or 20 minutes, I am giving my brain the break it needs.  Just sitting at my desk eating lunch, I suddenly hear my coworkers' chats and other office noise in a whole new (more positive) light.  It helps reset my perspective for the second half of the work day!

5:00 PM - Personal Study Time
I get home around 5-ish, and soon after that is my non-work study time.  I start with one lesson of French for Reading, then I read the Bible chapters for the day. 

Regarding Bible study - I've been using the "Beginning" study plan from BibleGateway, which is reading Genesis through Revelation in a year.  They figure out the whole schedule for you, and you can use their calendar tracker to stay on schedule.  I'm reading the NKJV translation for the first time, with a hard copy of the KJV close by for comparison.  I also keep a "Bible journal," where I write something about the day's chapters (sometimes a sentence, sometimes a page, whatever comes to mind).

7:30–9:30 PM - My *Favorite Time of the Day
After dinner and a hot bath, I can catch up on blogs and reading!  (Also, Blokus - a somewhat addicting board game my sibs and I just learned.)

In Summary...
Do I stick to this schedule 100%?  No, I'll be honest I've deviated from the course more than a few times.  

That said, whenever I didn't follow it, I noticed a domino of Bad Side Effects, and in general I was less happy (and more stressed) when I didn't adhere to the schedule.  

*Interestingly enough, each time of the day is more enjoyable when I follow the schedule than when I don't.  But truthfully, this time is probably the most enjoyable of them all. 

What else?
Having a schedule means taking out things you can't fit into it.  You have decide how important it is to not miss that TV episode, or whether you should be watching a 30-minute YouTube video.  For example, my favorite show, Good Mythical Morning, starts up again tomorrow.  I may end up watching it during my lunch break, since an episode fits into about 15 minutes.  However, I might have to postpone watching the new Victoria series, since the first episodes runs till 11:00 PM tonight...we'll see!

Comments

Ruth said…
Such a great piece to wake up to! It makes me want to change my wake up "noise" to Clair de Lune, too. It's perfect.

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans