Top Ten Literary Couples

In honor of the day before Singles Awareness Day Valentine's Day, here's my favorite romantic relationships from literature (in no particular order):

Tatyana and Eugene from Eugene Onegin
Tatyana is a bookish country girl who writes a love letter to Eugene, a worldly and cynical city boy.  Everything falls apart from there...  The complex story and character building make it my very favorite romantic novel, and I absolutely love the Met Opera's 2014 production (due soon for a rewatch).

Arthur and Amy from Little Dorrit
Little Dorrit is like a Cinderella story where the prince is also in trouble.  In the 2008 miniseries, Matthew Macfadyen and Claire Foy brought these two characters to life, and I still can't watch this without major feels for them. 

Percy and Marguerite from The Scarlet Pimpernel
Breakups and adulteries tend to take center stage in literature, so I especially love a good story about a saved marriage.  A bit of swashbuckling doesn't hurt, either.

Natasha and Myshkin from The Idiot
In the eyes of elite society, Natasha is "damaged goods" because of sexual abuse she suffered as a child.  Myshkin understands her and vows to always love and respect her.  It's my favorite proposal scene of all time.

Nastenka and the Narrator from White Nights
The ultimate story of unrequited love between two strangers.  It's the stuff of Hollywood...but somehow, Dostoyevsky makes it work.
May your sky always be clear, may your dear smile always be bright and happy, and may you be for ever blessed for that moment of bliss and happiness which you gave to another lonely and grateful heart. Isn't such a moment sufficient for the whole of one's life? 
Mina and Jonathan from Dracula
Two intelligent characters who stay true to each other through the worst of experiences.  Literature needs more couples like them!

Phileas and Aouda from Around the World in Eighty Days
Verne isn't known for romance, but I always liked these two.

Well, friends, not being too romantic myself, I did my best and could only come up with seven.  Any favorites from this list (or ones I missed)?

Comments

Lark said…
Mina and Jonathan made my list, too! Aren't they the best? :)
Lydia said…
I love the fact that all of your selections came from the classics. Nice job.

This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
mudpuddle said…
sterling collection... and i've missed out on most of them... sometime i'll a get a roundtoit...
Stephen said…
I'd forgotten Aouda was even a character in Verne. Is she the woman who is rescued from an attempt at sacrificing her in India? (It's been ages and ages since I read it!)
Marian H said…
Yes, they're both great characters on their own and together!
Marian H said…
Thanks! I see Jo and Laurie on your list... after watching the recent Masterpiece Classic adaptation, I kinda ship them, too. :)
Marian H said…
If I had to recommend just one from this list for you, it would be Eugene Onegin. It's a short book with a huge impact.
Sharon Wilfong said…
I did not realize how many of my favorite books were adapted into movies. I am a bit afraid to watch them because the actors might not interpret the characters as I imagine them.

I do love Anthony Andrews as the Scarlett Pimpernal.
Marian H said…
I know how you feel!

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Autumn Plans