Back to the Classics 2014 challenge

Updated 1/2/14
Back to the Classics, hosted by Karen

This is challenge is themed on books published during or prior to 1964.  For some of the categories, I will be overlapping with other challenges (because I'm not terribly ambitious!), but there are new to-read books on this list that I'm also looking forward to.

Required:

  1. ✓  A 20th Century ClassicThe Castle (1926, Kafka).  Alternative: 1984 (1949, Orwell) or The Great Gatsby (1925)  The Old Man and the Sea (1952, Hemingway)
  2. ✓  A 19th Century ClassicThe Masterpiece (1886), Zola  Lord Jim (18991900, Conrad)
  3. A Classic by a Woman AuthorA Vindication of the Rights of Woman (Wollstonecraft)
  4. ✓  A Classic in TranslationThe Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky)
  5. A Wartime ClassicFor Whom the Bell Tolls (Hemingway) - Spanish Civil War
  6. A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You:  Beneath the Wheel (Hesse) - subject to change, though I've been wanting to read Hesse for a while now
Optional Categories:
  1. An American ClassicThe Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne) - being a Hawthorne fan who hasn't read Scarlet Letter is just awkward
  2. A Classic Mystery, Suspense or Thriller: does Frankenstein count?
  3. A Historical Fiction Classic:  Mutiny on the Bounty (1932).  I read the Bounty Trilogy many years ago and enjoyed it - high time for a re-read!
  4. A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series: The Last of the Mohicans (Cooper) - set in 1757, pub. 1826
  5. Extra Fun Category:  Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4 - must be a separate blog posting from #4

Comments

cleopatra said…
Wow, what a great list, Marian! I am so impressed!

I really want to read The Brothers Karamazov but I need the time to read it well (notes, etc.)

I'm reading The Great Gatsby in January and I'm hoping I'll have a different reaction than when I read it in school (ugh!). At the very least, hopefully I'll be able draw more out of it than I did then.

Frankenstein is scheduled for around Feb. or Mar. It will be my second read so I'm looking forward to being able to do a deeper read of it.

Have fun with your list! I'll be watching for your posts!
Marian said…
Hopefully this all will be manageable; I'm definitely excited about it. :) Looking forward to your thoughts on Gatsby! It comes highly rated from most people I've talked to.

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Autumn Plans