New(ish) books

 
I seem to view summer as the season for buying books.  (Though, let's get real here, when is buying books ever out of season??)

This gorgeous Vintage Classics Jane Eyre was on my wish list for a while, so when the price lowered on Amazon, I thought I'd better seize the opportunity.  (For anyone who's interested, it's still a pretty good deal right now!)  I read Jane Eyre two or three times as a tween/teen, but that was...well, some time ago.  It's long overdue for a reread.

Stendhal's The Red and the Black is a book I know little to nothing about, but it's been on my radar as a French classic I should read.  Found it in the local thrift store for a deal, and in really good condition.  I just love Penguin Classics paperbacks.

Speaking of which, I was ready for more Jack London after The Sea-Wolf.  His sailing memoir, The Cruise of the Snark, looks to be right up my alley.  I found this practically new copy in a small local *bookstore, which I've only been to once before.  I also picked up The Man Who Was Thursday, my favorite book (so far) by G. K. Chesterton.

*You might remember my previous excursions to Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon, where I would sell books and use the discount from that to buy new (often used) books.  Though I still love Powell's, I'm super happy to have found a bookstore nearby where I can have the same experience, albeit on a smaller scale.  

What are your favorite places to buy books, either in person or online?  I'd love to hear about them!

Comments

Carol said…
I agree. Buying books is never out of season. I just picked up some goodies at a Lifeline sale here. Lifeline is a national charity here & does crisis support etc. They have a couple of very large book sales a few times a year & I usually pick up some good bargains.
I picked up yet another copy of Jane Eyre - this one was an as new hb so I couldn't resist; also a couple of Josephine Tey books, usually hard to find; The Island of Dr Moreau & a nice hb copy of a Nevil Shute book. I've bought a number of books from Abebooks in the past but I find their postage costs aren't that good for Australia these days.
I've heard of The Red and the Black & enjoy Chesterton too.
Marian H said…
That sounds like a great book haul! I'll have to look into Josephine Tey and Nevil Shute; I haven't read anything by them but their bibliographies look intriguing.

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Autumn Plans