Top Ten Books for Fall

After a long, hot, dry, allergy-stricken, wildfire smoke-infused summer, we are finally getting rain again, and I love it.  Today I actually wore my thick cable-knit sweater, and my raincoat has seen a couple of outings, too.

Fall means pumpkin-flavored treats, but (as importantly) it also brings cozy moments reading a book while listening to the rain or sitting by the fire.  These are the top ten books I hope to read this fall - that is, if I can make it to ten!


1.  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
Maybe no other book screams "autumn" like this one.  It's a re-read; I haven't read it since childhood.  The movie is one of my all-time favorites!


2.  Cloaked - Rachel Kovaciny
I was lucky enough to get an advanced reader copy of a new book by Hamlette, who blogs at The Edge of the Precipice.  So far I'm heartily enjoying it!


 

3.  Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia - Michael Korda
This is a long biography which I must finish by the end of the year and return to the coworker who is kindly lending it to me.  So far I am finding some interesting tidbits in it, though I am not super impressed with Korda as a biographer.


4.  The Sound and the Fury, or Light in August - William Faulkner
These are two Faulkners I picked up at the thrift store, and I've heard good things about both of them.  Any suggestion as to which I should read first?


5.  Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
I must read this book.  I must, I must.


Hugues Merle - The Scarlet Letter - Walters 37172
 
6.  The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Ditto.  Am I the only one who strongly associates this book with fall?  I guess it's because it takes place in New England, and New England is gorgeous in autumn.  :)

7.  Crusader Castles - T. E. Lawrence
An upcoming commemoration of a certain person's birth might justify the purchase of this rare book by T. E. Lawrence... *innocent cough*


8. - 10.  If I somehow manage to complete the above, we can talk about 8 - 10!

Comments

Ruth said…
We're in the same boat: I cannot seem to fill out my TBR past seven.

I think Frankenstein is autumn-ish, too, especially close to Halloween.
Graveyard Rose said…
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the others in that series are delightful
My ttt
http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2017/09/top-ten-tuesday-top-7-books-on-my-fall.html
Marian H said…
Yes, I always plan to read Frankenstein every fall! Gotta stop planning and start doing. :)
Marian H said…
I was excited to learn it was a series. The other books will be new to me, so I'm excited about that!
cleopatra said…
Yes, you MUST read Frankenstein ...... and then tells us what you think. I think it wise of you to stop at 7. Too many books = a reader overwhelmed. Better to make it manageable. :-)
Marian H said…
Thanks, cleo! Seven is already optimistic, hehe...
o said…
Frankenstein's great - looking forward to see what you make of that :) Scarlet Letter is also amazing, and so too is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as you already know :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans