Friday Thoughts: Things I Do When I'm Not Reading

(What I really need to do: go outside.)

For better or worse, I'm one of those people that doesn't procrastinate much on things I have to do - work, chores, running errands - but when the end of the day comes around, very often I don't feel like doing what I really want to do (deep down): that is, improve my mind with reading.  My brain says it's too tired to be improved and deserves a break.  I don't really buy it, but I usually end up doing something else anyway, such as:
  • Play solitaire.  Currently obsessed with Scorpion.
  • Watch YouTube videos (sometimes while playing Scorpion.)
  • Watch a TV show with the family.
  • Find more books to read, on Goodreads (ha ha).
  • "Window shop" online.  (And occasional real shopping.)
  • Work from home.  Those pesky emails...
  • Take a nap. 
I have, at various times, experimented with a more rigorous schedule.  Last January (2017), I made myself do a lot of study reading, which was nice in retrospect but a bit wearisome at the time.  Nanowrimo 2016 saw me give up all my spare time - and I mean very nearly all - to building my own story, which was a great experience (it worked!) but not something I've whole-heartedly committed to since then.  

Right now I'm trying to find a good balance between "assigning" time to read and keeping reading fun.  Part of that is just including fun books to read in between more weighty fare.  Last night I started Fitzgerald's Tender Is the Night and could hardly put it down, so maybe that will pull me away from the screen for a while.

Comments

Jade said…
There is something uniquely comforting about having a book in your hands and a pause from the digital world.
I don’t watch much TV but recently my husband and I have been enjoying Family Matters on Friday nights. TGIF, hehe. Anyhow, hope you’re having a beautiful weekend!
Marian H said…
Thanks, Jade! Old shows are the best, aren't they? Currently my family is watching Yes, Prime Minister on DVD, and I'm finding it absolutely hilarious. Wish they still made comedy like that!
cleopatra said…
I do know what you mean about being tired at the end of the day and wanting something less challenging than reading. I tend to waste time with things I really don't want to do yet then complain when I don't feel like I have enough reading time. I do have more of an excuse lately as I've been working on the food blog and helping a friend with some work as well, so I have little time for anything else. I hope that changes soon! And I hope your weekend was wonderful!
Marian H said…
You, too, Cleo! :) I wouldn't feel too bad about not reading - it's good to try new pursuits as well and come back with a fresh mindset.

I have been enjoying seeing your food blog growing! I don't cook much myself, but some of those recipes I need to ask my mom to try (we love vegetarian!).

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Autumn Plans