Things I'm Looking Forward To

So far, 2019 has been a great year for me in terms of stories to read (and watch).  There's a few things coming up which I'm particularly looking forward to!

Read-Alongs

 

April: A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
@ A Great Book Study
I'm so excited that Ruth is hosting a read-along for Mary Wollstonecraft's classic text.  I've been meaning to read it for ages, but it's good I waited... it's going to be more fun as a group!


August: Moby-Dick
@ Brona's Books
August will be Herman Melville's bicentennial birthday!  A great time to re-read this novel.  This time, I plan to give a thorough review, maybe even a miniseries.

Disney Live-Action Remakes

I'm really quite excited about the TWO Disney live-action remakes coming out this year, Aladdin and The Lion King.  The animated Aladdin was a favorite of mine as a kid, and I'm pretty sure The Lion King is one of Disney's very best stories.  I just hope both remakes stay close to the originals, like Beauty and the Beast did.

May 24: Aladdin

July 19: The Lion King

Other

I'm thinking about starting the podcast back up again.  I haven't decided whether to do that, or focus on the YouTube channel, or some combination.  Either way... planning to make a decision in the near future.

Comments

Stephen said…
I'm really looking forward to Aladdin. I'm not sure about The Lion King, though. The classic animated one was the first movie I ever saw in theaters, and its voice actors MADE my childhood.
I'm excited you'll be joining me for the Wollstonecraft read-along, Marian!

And I'm looking forward to Brona's MD read-along, as well as both of those Disney films. I'm not a big movie fan, but these look well done.
Marian H said…
It was my first trip to the theater, too! I must say, I'm pretty bummed Jeremy Irons wasn't recast as Scar, as James Earl Jones was for Mufasa.
Marian H said…
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Disney remakes, for the most part. Even Cinderella was pretty good, in spite of no talking animals or songs. :O

Frozen 2 is also coming out this fall...I'm a little more wary because I actually really liked the first one and don't think it needs a sequel.
I've decided that I'm going to join Ruth's read along after reading the introduction to the book (by the author). It sounds not only interesting but a balanced, sensible treatise, not a raging indictment against men as I was fearing. I'm looking so forward to it. And Moby Dick too although I wish it wasn't at the same time as Adam's read-along of The Divine Comedy. Podcast or YouTube .... I'm interested to see what you choose! .....
Marian H said…
Hurrah, glad you're joining!! I know what you mean about raging indictments. I've never read Wollstonecraft, but I find earlier feminists tend to be more sensible in general. :)

Moby-Dick and The Divine Comedy would be a pretty heavy pairing. You might start Moby-Dick early - in fact, I might do that since I tend to fall behind anyway!
Beth said…
I am also joining in for Ruth's read along! Looking forward to it!
Marian H said…
Awesome - there should be a lot of great discussion!
Catherine said…
Marian,

I would love to see more Youtube videos! I love seeing how others organize their collections. I'm looking forward to reading Moby Dick later this year as well!

Catherine
Marian H said…
Thanks, Catherine! It should be a fun readalong. The last time I read it was by myself, so I really can't wait to hear other viewpoints. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans