Valkyrie (2008) and My Thoughts on Historical Dramas

This past weekend, I rewatched the WWII movie Valkyrie (2008) with my brother.  (He, like me, is a history nerd and was the one who talked me into watching Lawrence of Arabia, for which I'm perpetually grateful.)  I don't believe I reviewed Valkyrie last time, so it seemed like a good time to talk about it and about history-themed movies in general.

Tom Cruise plays Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, a Nazi officer, family man, and Catholic, who is tormented by his conscience and the events of the war.  In 1943, he joins a number of collaborators planning a political-military coup, which ultimately involves a plan to assassinate Hitler.  The genius of the plot is that it uses Hitler's own backup plan, "Operation Valkyrie," against him by feigning an emergency.  The movie zooms in on July 20, 1944, when Stauffenberg and his fellow officers attempt to carry out the assassination and coup.

The first thing to get out of the way is the casting.  Now, don't get me wrong: Cruise is ok, and I love British actors - here we've got names like Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, David Bamber.  But why, why, why are American and British actors playing Germans, especially when they don't even try for a fake accent?  It's just a bizarre thing to watch and bothered me deeply the first time I saw it.  (At least Christopher Plummer pulled it off!

Now, watching it a second time, I was able to fully enjoy the film.
  • Cinematography - The photography may be stylized, but it is stunning. Check out this trailer and you'll see what I mean:
  • Acting - Casting aside, the acting is top-notch.  I haven't seen Mission Impossible or any other Cruise films, but he does a great job here as the conflicted protagonist.  The supporting cast is excellent.  I was especially impressed by Thomas Kretschmann's portrayal of Major Remer, the officer who displays chilling loyalty to Hitler.  Apparently Kretschmann was first slated to play Stauffenberg - I would've liked to see that.
  • Story - From a purely cinematic standpoint, the story extremely compelling.  It goes from the personal to the political and, finally, the philosophical.  Did Stauffenberg do the right thing? Is an assassination of a evil dictator a crime or a moral obligation?  The story is interactive in that sense; it gives you much to think about.

Now, history nerd that I am, I had look all of this up on Wikipedia.  As you read up on it, it seems (as to be expected) Hollywood may have simplified some aspects of the story.  There is even question whether Stauffenberg's motives were driven more by politics than by conscience.  In real life, people are always more complicated (surprise).

So... are even the best, most accurate historical films worth watching?  Or is there a risk they will mislead viewers?

Personally, I don't think any movie should be viewed in a vacuum, even fiction.  If a film moves, inspires, or fascinates you, then it's worth looking into the source material.  In the case of history, it's downright necessary.

Also, depending on the nature of the historical inaccuracies, some films may be more egregious than others.  In the case of Valkyrie (2008), the artistic liberties seem to have more to do with the angle the filmmakers took, rather than the actual facts.  I would be more bothered if the movie, say, was a completely made-up story using real figures.

As for Lawrence of Arabia, if it hadn't been for that film, it's not likely I would have got into reading about T. E. Lawrence and WWI.  Through my reading, I've discovered how inaccurate the film is, as well as O'Toole's portrayal.  But in spite of that, I still love the movie, like I love an illustration in a book. 


Let me know what you think .... do you like and/or watch historical dramas?  And if so, what are some good ones?

Comments

Carol said…
Sounds like something I'd enjoy, even if they don't do German accents properly. I don't watch much, just the occasional movie but my 14 yr old & I watched The Guns of Navarone the other night & really enjoyed it. Actually one of the actors in your picture above was in it along with a star-studded cast of actors from years ago (Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn etc). With historical films, I usually am interested enough to go to the book version afterwards. I did that with the Bielski Brothers after watching Defiance, a movie on DVD I stumbled across in the library.
mudpuddle said…
i saw LoA before i read 7 PoW also and it was quite different; i still liked the movie tho except for the gross parts... the older i get the more i dislike that sort of thing... i recall getting the impression from the book that TE got a kick out of blowing things up, which i identified with; altho i may be remembering my own predilections instead of TE's...
Marian H said…
Oooh, I'm always interested in a Gregory Peck film! I'll look into both of those, thanks for sharing. :)
Marian H said…
You're right - most of the book is about strategy, including blowing up railway tracks. The movie puts a bigger focus on his emotional state and ultimately implies he goes a bit crazy near the end. Great cinema, questionable history.
Brian Joseph said…
Great commentary. I saw Valkyrie when it first came out and I liked it a lot. Lawrence of Arabia is one of my all time favorites. I enjoy historical dramas but I try to separate them from the real history. I will mention one that is not all that well known. Several years ago I watched all four seasons of The television series Turn. The American Revolution is my chief area of interest. The series took place on Long Island near where I live during that conflict. It is based on the real life spy ring that operated here during the Revolution. It is based on Alexander Rose’s non - fiction book Washington’s Spies. Despite this, the series deviated greatly from historical accuracy. However, I still loved it.
RTD said…
Hmmm. Cannot tolerate Cruise .... but did enjoy your posting ..
FYI ... my blog evaporated thanks to Blogger ... here is new effort:
https://rtmarginaliaredux.blogspot.com/
Marian H said…
Interesting, I'll have to look into that one! The only American Revolution drama I've watched so far is John Adams, which I did enjoy.
Marian H said…
Added to my blog roll, thanks! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Autumn Plans