2019 Christian Greats Challenge: Past & Present

Hosted by Carol at Journey and Destination
Carol at Journey and Destination is hosting a new challenge - focused on Christian literature!  Though I've read Christian classics on-and-off through the years, I've been meaning to read more, and this seems like the perfect chance! 

Here is my (overly ambitious) list:

1) A Book on Early Church History
Early Christian Doctrines by J. N. D. Kelly
My mom already has this book, so it's an obvious choice!

2) A Book About a Prominent Christian Who Was Born Between 500 A.D & 1900
Joan of Arc: By Herself and Her Witnesses by Régine Pernoud
This is one of the better-rated biographies of Joan out there.  Since childhood I've been fascinated by her story, but haven't yet read anything as in-depth as this is supposed to be.

3) A Christian Allegory
The Pilgrim's Progress (reread) by John Bunyan

4) A Book on Apologetics
Orthodoxy (reread) by G. K. Chesterton
 
5) A Philosophical Book by a Christian Author
Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings by René Descartes
I hope this counts.  I honestly know very little about Descartes, hence the desire to read him.  Backup plan: Kierkegaard's The Sickness unto Death.

6) A Missionary Biography or A Biography of a Prominent Christian
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

7) A Seasonal Book
TBD, but something for Lent.  I found two lists here and here that look interesting.

8) A Novel with a Christian Theme
The Keys of the Kingdom by A. J. Cronin

9) A Good Old Detective or Mystery Novel
The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton

10) A Substitute - choose a book by any of the authors below in place of one of the above categories:
Timothy Keller
A.W. Tozer
Patricia St. John
Jan Karon
Wendell Berry
Edith Schaeffer
Elizabeth Goudge
OR Choose a second book from a category you like
Allegory #2: The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

Comments

mudpuddle said…
good luck on the Descartes... i read it when i was a freshman and it was tough, i thought then; maybe not so much now, but i wouldn't bet on it... Chesterton is almost always interesting except when he gets off on one of his negative kicks... the Father Brown series is terrific, imo: there are four collections of stories...
It was fun to see your choices. I think I'm going to do this challenge too. I just have to do some research.

I read and reviewed Descartes; what a mind bender! I'm still considering joining you with The Pilgrim's Progress and Bonhoeffer.

For Lent can I recommend The Great Lent by Alexander Schmemann? It's supposed to be excellent.

Good luck with this challenge!
Carol said…
So good to have you along, Marian. I loved The Keys of the Kingdom. Thanks for the link to the Lent book ideas - some excellent choices there! I better get my act together & post a list of the books I'll be reading!
Bonhoeffer is excellent!

I'm doing this challenge, too. I'm reading PP for allegory, and I have a few others filled out, but I still need to make decisions about other categories.
Marian H said…
I am so looking forward to Father Brown! I haven't read a detective series since my Agatha Christie phase (over 10 years ago...yikes).
Marian H said…
I've pinned your review of Descartes so I will re-read it before starting the book. (Pretty sure I'm going to need help "interpreting" it.)

Thanks for the Lenten rec - the Orthodox perspective does sound interesting!
Marian H said…
Thanks, Carol - I really like the variety of categories in this challenge!
Marian H said…
Can't wait to see what you choose! :)
Sharon Wilfong said…
This looks like a great list. You will really like Metaxas' biography of Bonhoeffer. It's the best out there and one of the best biographies I've read.
Marian H said…
That's great to hear!! I love a good biography.

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans