Mount TBR Challenge 2019

Hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block
This is a favorite challenge of mine, all about reading books you already own.  (FWIW, I'm bolstering my list with a couple of my parents' books.  We share with each other!)  It's crazy, but I'm also choosing a steep challenge this year: 24 books.  Don't know how far I'll get, but I'm pretty excited with the list!

Here it is, in no particular order (and subject to change): 


MOUNT BLANC - 24 BOOKS

Fiction:
  1. Nostromo - Joseph Conrad
  2. The Professor - Charlotte Bronte
  3. Cancer Ward - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  4. Light in August - William Faulkner
  5. The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins
  6. All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
  7. The Red and the Black - Stendhal
  8. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
  9. Moby-Dick (reread) - Herman Melville
  10. Jane Eyre (reread) - Charlotte Bronte
  11. Pilgrim's Progress (reread) - John Bunyan
  12. ✓ The Time Machine (reread) - H. G. Wells
  13. Bonus: Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
  14. Bonus: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
  15. Bonus: Bleak House by Charles Dickens
If I read The Professor and Tenant, I will have finally read all of the Bronte sisters' novels.  The completist in me is eager for that milestone!

Non-Fiction:
  1. The Lost City of Z - David Grann
  2. The Emperor's Sea Eagle: A Memoir of the Attack on Pearl Harbor and the War in the Pacific - Abe Zenji
  3. Recollections of Japan - Hendrik Doeff
  4. The Boy in the Mask: The Hidden World of Lawrence of Arabia - Dick Benson-Gyles
  5. To Begin the World Over Again: Lawrence of Arabia from Damascus to Baghdad - John Hulsman
  6. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy - Eric Metaxas
  7. Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Age - W. Bernard Carlson
  8. AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order - Kai-Fu Lee
  9. Fear No Evil - Natan Sharansky
  10. Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook - Jane Maxwell
  11. The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition - Caroline Alexander
  12. Shackleton - Roland Huntford
There are a LOT of chunksters here, particularly the biographies.  We'll see how that goes...

Comments

mudpuddle said…
some grrreat selections there... if there's one book i'd like to read next year, it's Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton, partly because Dr. Johnson liked it a lot and partly because i'm curious and partly because i have a copy... (how many partly's can i have before i run out?) haha
I'm tempted to join you for The Professor, Cancer Ward, The Pilgrim's Progress, and Bonhoeffer. Where There Is No Doctor sounds fascinating. Good luck with this challenge! I'm considering it but haven't decided yet.
Marian H said…
I'm drawn into the Wikipedia article on it now...it sounds really interesting!
Marian H said…
That would be fun!! (No pressure! ;))
LOVED Bonhoeffer!!!!

I'm doing a lot of rereads this coming year, too, including Moby Dick. : )
Marian H said…
Yay, we can compare notes! :)
Beth said…
I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! And Bleak House. I think I will reread Bleak House this year.

here is my Mount TBR challenge so far:
https://bethsbookishthoughts.blogspot.com/2018/11/mount-tbr-reading-challenge.html

And my Virtual Mount TBR:
https://bethsbookishthoughts.blogspot.com/2018/12/virtual-mount-tbr-challenge.html

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Loving - A Ramble on Chapters 1–2.1

Septober, Octember, Nowonder...

Autumn Plans